New Home For Triage From Home!

Don't forget:
I'm transitioning my blog over to my own domain, so please come and visit there. For the time being, I will continue to update both blogs so I don't lose anyone, but please update your following status and bookmarks to my new page:

www.triagefromhome.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Working from home (or WFH as we like to call it!)

I've been part of a pilot project for the past 5 months, working as a telenurse from home. It's the best job I've ever had for so many reasons. I started telenursing for the BC Nurseline about 5 years ago. I thought I would miss working at the hospital (I worked for 10 years at BC Childrens' Hospital in the ER and as an IV nurse) but after a period of adjustment, I've settled into this new role which I really enjoy. I still get to help people and use my nursing knowledge and I'm still learning something new everyday. In fact, one of the best things about telenursing is the ability to work with one patient at a time until I've met their needs, before moving on to the next one. Another great thing is taking regular, scheduled breaks during my shifts! No more working 8-10 hours straight because things are too busy to get away.
Now that I'm working most of the time from my home, I have even more advantages. I work in my PJs most of the time, and spend my breaks doing what I want to do, checking the mail, tidying up, taking a shower, playing with the dogs, talking to the kids or Jon. I get more sleep and even doing night shifts isn't as painful as before. I know I can fall into my own bed 5 minutes after my shift ends, which is wonderful. I used to be so nervous driving all the way home after being up all night.
Any BC nurses out there who want to come and see what the Nurseline is like-- let me know, I'd be happy to fill you in, take you on a tour, whatever! We need more nurses, as the Ministry of Health is planning to implement 811 soon, so our call volume is about to increase dramatically.

No comments: