New Home For Triage From Home!

Don't forget:
I'm transitioning my blog over to my own domain, so please come and visit there. For the time being, I will continue to update both blogs so I don't lose anyone, but please update your following status and bookmarks to my new page:

www.triagefromhome.com

Monday, February 16, 2009

Brainstorming For Fundraising Ideas

So, ever since I signed up the other day to do this 60 km walk for breast cancer, I've been brainstorming to try to come up with ways to help me raise my goal amount of $3200.00 in donations by August.
I've started the online auctions, as you can see by yesterday's post, and I got the first bid today-- Yippee!
Some of the other ideas I've been bouncing around:

1) Holding a BIG yard sale next month, once the weather warms up a little.

Since I'm not much of a hoarder, I don't have a lot of stuff to sell, so I'm thinking of dropping a flyer in everyone's mail slots in the neighourhood asking for donations of stuff to sell.
I found some 'Awareness Ribbon' shaped cookie cutters online, so I thought of making pink-iced ribbon cookies.
I also found pink ribbon temporary tattoos for sale online for cheap. I could sell those to the kids:-)
My brother suggested checking craigslist in the FREE section regularly and trying to pick up anything nearby that might be worth selling.
I thought of selling pink balloons, seeing if I can wangle the donation of a helium tank for them.
Perhaps getting a cotton candy machine rental donated.
I know signage is a big one. Will have to make some clear signage and draw big pink awareness ribbons on it.
Of course, I'll advertise it everywhere FREE I can find- craigslist, etc.

This is starting to sound like a circus...LOL

Anyone else have any good fund raising ideas?
Any good tips on how to have a successful yard sale?

I just had a little fund raising fantasy sitting here while I'm working: I was thinking that if everyone who is following me on Twitter donated $1 to my fund-- I'd be nearly done:-)
(I told you it was a fantasy, but it's nice to think something like that is possible!)

5 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like you have some great ideas! I think craigs list and asking neighbors will go a long way. We always get bottled water and sodas at costco to add to our yard sale and they do ok but since the weather is cold you may do better with tea and coffee. I hope you bring in a lot of money!

Baroness Bijoutery said...

What you have come up with so far sounds great. You might get some of those small tubes of frosting you can write with and for an extra .25 you will write the name of a survivor or a lost love one or someone going through treatment now. Just a thought.

Helen said...

Great ideas, thanks!
I was thinking of having juice pouches there for the kids-- asking for the empties back for my crafts of course:-)

LoopyJ said...

Ohh- I'm doing the Walk in Ottawa in June! I'm also trying to think of fundraising ideas! Here are some more you can add to your list:

1. Have a giant bottle or something available just for people to throw in donations!

2. Bottle drive? Send out flyers in your neighbourhood and ask people to leave them outside their house so you don't have to bug them on a certain day - drive around and collect:)

3. Baking and bringing it into work for donations?

4. If you know a Pampered Chef or Norwex or other home party person ask them if they'd donate 20% of the total if you have a home party - in lie of receiving your hostess gifts.

5. Some Beer and Liquor stores here will let you hang outside and ask for donations - give a pink ribbon pin or tatoo to people who donate.

I look forward to seeing whatelse you come up with!

Helen said...

A fellow walker- welcome!! Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely post more as I think of them and will post here to report my results as well. I look forward to comparing notes with you!